LANAP Laser Gum Therapy
It doesn’t matter if you call it periodontitis, periodontal disease, gum disease, or pyorrhea. It’s is responsible for more lost teeth in the US than anything else. Up to 80% of Americans have some level of this chronic infection. If you have gum disease, what can you do about it? First, a quick run-down on the traditional treatments for it. Then you’ll learn about LANAP, the laser alternative to gum surgery.
Dr. Payet isn’t a specialist in periodontics, but he understands how important it is. Without a solid foundation of healthy gums and bone, it doesn’t matter how pretty the teeth look. They won’t last. That’s why he focuses on healthy gums through preventive dentistry, good nutrition, and regular checkups.
Non-LANAP Options for Gum Disease
- Scaling and Root Planing removes tartar (calculus) but doesn’t kill the bacteria responsible. Sometimes done together with surgery.
- “Pocket reduction” surgery involves cutting infected gum tissue. It leaves tooth roots exposed and sensitive, and recovery can last 1-2 weeks.
To be clear, there is a difference between Gingivitis and Periodontitis. We don’t use LANAP for gingivitis or even early stage periodontitis. That’s like using a flamethrower to swat a fly.
BTW – don’t worry about the effect of gum disease on heart attacks or stroke. There seems to be a small connection, but gum disease can’t cause them by itself.
LANAP: The Laser Alternative to Gum Surgery
Dr. Payet has treated patients with LANAP since 2009. With more than a decade of experience, it’s a service he’s truly proud to offer for many reasons.
- It’s the most consistently effective treatment for gum disease that I’ve seen in 20+ years.
- Patients almost always tell us how easy the experience is.
- 90% of our patients only take ibuprofen afterwards.
- 95% of our patients are back to their normal activities the next day.
- Patients who follow our recommendations almost never lose teeth.
- We can combine LANAP with Invisalign to straighten teeth for a healthier smile.
How Does LANAP Work?
Developed by Drs. Robert Gregg & Delwin McCarthy, LANAP is a patented protocol. In addition, LANAP is the only laser treatment for periodontitis with rigorous studies published, and nearly 20 years of successful treatment, to back it up. Rest assured, it is safe and really works.
LANAP involves multiple steps in a precise order.
- Using the laser to kill bacteria, remove infected tissue, and break down tartar build-up.
- Thoroughly removing all the tartar build-up.
- Form a clot around the teeth with laser energy. This seals out bacteria and lets your body heal.
- Bite adjustment to level areas hitting too hard and unevenly.
- A nightguard is made to stabilize the teeth at night. Nighttime bruxism causes tooth movement, which prevents healing.
- Follow-up visits to carefully evaluate your healing.
The following videos explain gum disease, treatments, and why Dr. Payet recommends LANAP Laser Periodontal TherapyTM.
LANAP Patient Testimonial
The best part about LANAP, is how fast & comfortably patients recover. Almost all of our LANAP patients are back at work the next day. Most only take ibuprofen the evening of the surgery. Just listen to Milli’s experience:
To make an appointment for a Complimentary Consultation:
Request an Appointment Online or call us at 704-364-7069.
We’ll look forward to meeting you soon!