Since Dr. Oz (anyone else think the similarity between the TV doc and the The Wizard have some similarities, like they’re pretty much full of it?) had a segment on his show recently about “Toxic Teeth”, our Charlotte dentist office has again been getting the question, “Should I remove my silver fillings?”
The “Great and Powerful Oz” Speaks about Silver Fillings
As you can probably gather from my intro and heading, I am not a big fan of Dr. Oz and his TV show. If that’s not clear enough for you, this is what I wrote about Dr. Oz and Teeth Whitening.
It’s really unfortunate that a man of his stature and position, with the training that he has in medicine, chooses to spread quackery and nonsense on his show, without offering genuine opportunities for professional organizations that dispute his alleged science (and I use the word alleged quite deliberately). I guess when it’s all about ratings, and when you have Oprah as a backer, you can do what you want, but that makes it no less irresponsible.
Are Silver Fillings Really Toxic?
There are 2 answers to this question:
- The hocus-pocus, try-to-scare-you, not-backed-up-by-good-science answer is that yes, silver fillings are “toxic.” The problem is this: none of the methods used to demonstrate this alleged toxicity are any good. Sure, they show some videos that supposedly illustrate “mercury vapor” rising from a tooth being rubbed by an eraser. Or they tell you about some gadget that measures mercury levels after chewing, or they’ll tell you about studies with sheep teeth. The problem is……they’re all bunk.
- The real answer that is supported by all reputable science……., NO, THEY ARE PERFECTLY SAFE.
Are Dentists Poisoning You with “Mercury” Fillings?
So here are 2 humongous silver fillings did a few weeks ago. Then read on for my questions for anyone who actually believes in this ridiculous, total BS, POS, stupid, moronic conspiracy.
Now some questions for disbelievers:
- If these fillings are so toxic, why would I put them in someone’s mouth? Am I evil and diabolical? ‘Cause really, either you’re assuming I’m evil and diabolical, or you’re assuming I’m stupid. Or maybe all 3?
- There are 150,000 general dentists in the USA. At least 2/3 of us, or about 100,000, still use amalgam fillings. Are we all part of some massive conspiracy? Are we ALL dumb, evil, and/or diabolical?
- An estimated 100 BILLION amalgam fillings have been done around the world. Somehow good scientists can’t find any good connection between these fillings and ANY real disease? I mean, c’mon – with that many in place, you’d think SOME good science would be able to find a connection, but nope, not yet!
- If my 6yo daughter had any cavities on back teeth, you know what I’d use? SILVER FILLINGS! Why? Because it’s much harder to bond tooth-colored fillings to the enamel in baby teeth, and silver fillings stay in better. Do you REALLY think that I would poison my own daughter with dangerous fillings? REALLY? If you do, then nothing I say will convince you otherwise.
- I could have made $1-200 more by doing tooth-colored fillings, or $2000 more if I’d done crowns. If I were all about money, why did I do these huge silver fillings?
If you think there’s a massive conspiracy to poison people with “mercury” fillings, then you believe we’re (1) evil, (2) stupid, or (3) both. Regardless, you don’t want to come to my office. I am 100% confident that the science proves they are perfectly safe. I only do about 20 per year these days, but when appropriate, we do.
Silver Fillings are Strong, Long-lasting, and Affordable
The simple fact is, those huge fillings above will probably last for 20+ years. Combined they cost less than 1/2 of a crown. They don’t look pretty, true. But she can chew with confidence, it didn’t put strain her budget, and they WORK.