Even though dentures are usually a last resort, when every attempt to save teeth has failed or it’s just too late, sometimes a denture is the right choice, even though can be a difficult decision. In our Charlotte dentist office, we work hard to help people avoid dentures, including LANAP to stop gum disease, but when saving the teeth becomes impossible or too expensive, we don’t just give people a “plate,” as they’re often called, but we give people a smile back!
We are NOT Affordable Dentures
Let me say up front, because I don’t want to mislead anyone – we are not a cheapo denture clinic. In fact, we may even be a little on the expensive side for Charlotte, but before you decide to click away, hang on just a sec….wait until you know what you GET for the higher price. As with everything, you can get cheap dentures that LOOK like dentures…..or you can get dentures that look like your own teeth. In our office, you get the second one!
Smile Design Dentures Custom-Made for You
There are basically 3 kinds of dentures:
- “Immediate” Dentures – this is what we do when you still have a bunch of teeth that need to come out, and you don’t want to go for any period of time with no teeth. Step one is to take molds of your teeth, choose the color and shape and size of your new teeth, send that to the lab for the denture to be made, and when you come in to have the teeth removed, we put in the denture that day. Quite literally – you walk out that day with your smile in place, that’s why they’re “immediate.”
- “Regular” Dentures – if you are already missing your teeth, whether you have a denture now or not, and you need one. This process takes a bit longer, usually up to 6 weeks (we do our best to make it faster, but to get it right, sometimes it takes this long), and 3-5 appointments.
- “Implant-Supported” Dentures – to be quite blunt, in many ways, dentures suck, especially lower dentures. They can move around, fall out, etc (look up the YouTube video on the skydiving granny who loses her denture when jumping out of a plane). BUT….if you put in a few implants with attachments, you can make a “Snap-On” denture that is amazingly secure. You can talk and eat and smile with total confidence.
Not All Dentures Are Created Equal
If you don’t care if everyone knows you have “falsies,” then you don’t want to come see us. If what you want is a SMILE that looks like a smile and not like a “plate,” then we’re the place for you. But what makes our Smile Design Dentures different? What makes them look like a real smile and not like fake teeth?
What makes a denture look natural and real?
- Premium teeth vs. cheap teeth: there is a HUGE difference in how high-end teeth look compared to bargain-basement denture teeth. Cheap ones have no shine, look “flat,” are pretty square, and are usually lined up almost too perfectly, which is not really natural.
- Premium acrylic bases with natural pigments vs. cheap acrylic: look at the “gums” of cheap dentures, and it’s pretty much impossible not to notice them, right? They’re super-bright pink, are pretty shiny, very polished-looking (ever see a person with polished shiny gums? Yeah, I didn’t think so. 🙂 ), and just look fake. But Smile Design dentures don’t look like that – they have natural-looking texture, have natural-looking pigmentation added, and don’t have that shine.
- Customized tooth arrangements: on most cheap dentures, the teeth are lined up totally even and level, which is not the way real teeth look. On Smile Design dentures, you get to pick exactly how you want your teeth to look, including any little “imperfections,” which actually make a denture look more natural – rotate 1-2 teeth slightly – leave a little gap between some teeth – have the teeth slightly uneven. It’s one of those weird little things – by making the denture less perfect, we actually make the denture look far more natural-looking.
To make an appointment for a Complimentary Consultation:
Request an Appointment Online or call us at 704-364-7069.
We’ll look forward to meeting you soon!